Monday, February 16, 2015

Gentle

Cowabunga Breakfast #5 - Gentle

Released spring 2013. What can I say about this one? It is gentle; it was supposed to be. It is that black ribbon of tape, it is the sunrise crow stopping by to jam on some other morning when I hadn't been sleeping. This album is kinda about living all the time. It is also kinda about being alone. In ways. But gentle now.




King Neptune
 (Full Text)


Farewell, King Neptune. As black frost covers your eyes,
may the insects remember all the sugar you fed them.
Farewell, sea green bottle-glass skies.
And all the hidden mysteries of the lucid dream we've been having together.

You and I were just getting to know each other.
It's a shame what happened to our family, to our brothers and sisters.
That fire was never inside the stone, it was your light reflecting.

Farewell, King Neptune. We bury you with all your comic books;
with Superman #1 and The Flash.
It was over in one of those.

I am leaving for where you are going, and getting back before you leave.
Farewell, King Neptune.
Hope you find more there than I could.
Farewell, Compass. I knew you were broken when I walked north and wound up down & out.
Send us all a map whenever you learn to draw.

When we were kids you talked nonstop
about how you wanted to run the Iditarod & mom would berate you.
"Those animals shouldn't be treated like that just so some lousy Men can prove
how strong and capable they are!"
But you said Man and Wolf could be bonded, and this was after you got those rabies shots, even.
I never understood that about you.

Farewell, King Neptune.
Someday I will think of something brave to say here
and I will come back to now and say it.
Our minds will be an ocean of spiderwebs;
A symbiosis with the ecosystem of an opportune trash pail.

I'm sorry I killed your pet fly.
I'm even sorrier that Dad laughed at my cartoon sound effect.
He thought the weirdest shit was funny.
Christ, he thought Charlie Chaplin was the goddamn genius of the world.
I'm sorry you carry off so much anger with you, but thank you for agreeing to take mine as well.
No one should have to live like us.
Everyone should've had to kill those chickens
and swat down that huge moth.

Farewell, King Neptune.

The future is a popsicle-stick joke and the past is a slasher flick.
Tonight we are staying up late.
Tomorrow, the world.
Farewell.

Dog's Wish

Been creeping, dull job. Grab coin, tell dog.
Spot fish, hide sun. Dog's wish - long run.

Meatball hoagie, is good for me.
Buy two, get three. Dog's wish - one free.

They were both strays. They were two animals.
Hot gravel on the interstate.
Dog's wish - friend to play.

Big sonder, small paws. Quick jolt, sharp jaws.
Fiendish loyalty; we all get thirsty,
but please chomp Frisbee.

Transmogrification Blues

One thing surely seems apparent in the universe. It's that the joke is always on you.
It's not a bad thing, though, when you get it you will think it's funny too.
Now, I've been fishing with these riddles in my type of family business.
Every year, I like to shed my skin and become a new snake.
Where my former self has gone, I'm prepared to follow on. Even without shoes.

Got the transmogrification blues. Quantum paranoia, here I come.
Four dimensional gorilla glue, until all is said and done.

Fractal method to reflections and I'm moving.
Ten years ago, I traded all my cells in a rock paper scissors with the cosmos.
That elephant in the room will never tell.
They showed me time once in a dream and they weren't kidding.
When I awoke, I was whacked out on DMT.
I had the strangest sensation I'd been awake the whole time,
now I'm compelled to spread the news,

concerning transmogrification blues. How self-transforming smoke is what we are.
Big smiles in that room, they said "come back and visit us any time."
Transmogrification blues, haven't you guys ever read Calvin and Hobbes?
Using cardboard replication technology, I gave my selves different jobs.

There's been so many fractures I stopped counting.
That crystal never forms the same way twice.
I skip on water and I'm watching where the ripples go.
Fortune rolls like a circular dice.
And it's like I'm some kind of council room where all my different forms
are deciding what is really going on.
I rather like it, I must say, but it can get in my way when I sing with my one squishy face

those transmogrification blues. My paper trail goes on until I'm senile.
There have been rumors of a pit stop soon,
just a few more miles, crocodile.

And if there's one thing I've learned about the universe,
it's that the joke is always funny in the end.
But it's not the punchline that really matters. It's the telling of the joke, my friend.

Breakfast in Prison

I really hope the serve breakfast in prison. After all of the booking and process is through,
I hope some kind soul can slip waffles and smokes through the bars, straight to you.
I'll smuggle in syrup if I can. Fuck the man and his rules.
This completely unnatural, cold, dirty flood that is risen.
Brother, I hope they serve breakfast in prison.

Promise you'll live and keep standing. True bravery harshly demanding
that you lock up your insides where no guard can take them, and arrive at some gentle crash landing.
I spoke with the mayor, he said somewhere in time this cruel world will all be forgiven.
Until then, he'll make sure they serve breakfast in prison.

Your shoes are much bigger than mine, but in my imagination I fit in them fine
In the underground everyone wears the same size,
those barbed wire laces so easily could have been mine.
It's a sleepless kind of vision, as I'm picturing breakfast in prison.

No one deserves it this way. All for some plants and un-taxable nickles.
As I search for something more comforting to say; some quick turn of phrase
that could slice up this pickle, or tickle your funny bone so you're not sad all the way.

All your good friends won't forget. Sad kind of fourth of July.
Dry your eyes off if they're wet. Don't lose your mind to regret.
As weeks turn to months, I'll be counting the days, if months turn to years I'll be counting.
As weeks turn to months, I'll be counting the days until we can have breakfast at my place.

Gentle Black Ribbon

Gentle black ribbon, how you been living?
Gentle black ribbon, living all the time.
Living on a dime, aaah, I'm living all the time.
Gentle black ribbon, such a thin black line.

Speed Queen dryer; X-men retired.
Speed Queen dryer, I saw a few break.
Saw a few go. Soft, you know.
Too soft to let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment